Sun City Anthem

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Board Candidate Steve Anderson.....Position Paper 2

Process of Board Member Decision Making: Communication with Members
Position Paper 2

 
by
Stephen C. Anderson
Candidate for the Sun City Anthem Board of Directors

Contact:
 
 or 
(702) 514-0059
 
My upbringing and life experiences have made me into the kind of person who will serve as an independent minded member of the Board. 
 
I will speak and vote my mind based upon what I believe will serve the best interests of all members of this community. 
 
In making these decisions I will be a board member who will listen to all members with respect and integrity. 
 
I believe that it is particularly important to communicate more with
the people that I disagree with the most. 
 
I learn and grow in these exchanges and always come up with a different perspective and information on which to make a better and more
informed decision. 
 
Transparency in how decisions are made is important to me and all
members deserve an explanation of the factors that went into the making of the decision.

Effective communication with all members of the community is important to making sound decisions and something that the board needs to do better. 
 
Building better communication can happen with small shifts in process. 
 
For example at the presentation on “Governance Under Self-Management”, I commented to a friend that the tone of the
board valuing input from the audience would have been better served had they sought member input first and then provided time for the directors to comment. 
 
With the directors commenting first,  the impression given is that their mind is made up and that now you will hear what I believe to be important. 
 
While I am sure there is no intent to devalue member input, the feeling to those sitting in the audience is that the audience and what they have to say are less important.

If elected to the board, I want to hear and to dialog more fully with what members havet o say. 
 
Having regular monthly town hall meetings where the director comes to listen to what members have to say and to then dialog about those ideas and concerns is one way of building better communication. 
 
I have found that in the end even if you make a decision that is counter to another persons view, they may still feel it was the wrong
decision, but will be supportive if they felt that they were listened to with respect. 
 

I would be committed to holding this type of meeting on a monthly basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment