Sun City Anthem

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Like Working with your hands? Try Woodchips !



Who are the Woodchips ?




Woodchips is a woodworking club in Sun City Anthem that began in 2003.  The early members met in Anthem Center until January 2006 when they opened their doors with approximately $60,000 of woodworking equipment. Since that time, most of the equipment has been replaced with top quality machines and tools using money earned by Club members completing Shop Projects. The club is very professionally operated, and safety is their primary concern.

My first visit to the Woodchips was simple; open the door and view this very impressive shop.  I got a quick tour from a member of the club (actually a foreman), who was obviously very proud of the facility, giving me a complete overview about who they are, what they do, why they do it, and why I should consider joining the Club.

I was so impressed with the manner in which the workshop was run, I returned and recently joined the club. 

For a very modest $25 annual dues, I am able to access and use all the equipment and facilities. 

BUT, first I had to complete all the safety and operational classes (called clusters).  There are 13 clusters that review the safety and operations of every machine, and most tools in the shop.  From sanders to saws and shaping equipment, I have to be familiar with every machine I intend to use.  Each cluster is an opportunity to learn in detail, what each piece of equipment can do, and the class concludes with the instructor having you operate each one to ensure you understand what is expected of you.

What greatly surprised me most of all was that there are 12 ladies in the Club as well.

I have now finished 10 clusters of the 13, and decided to build a very small and easy project.  I found the learning (clusters) to be extremely interesting and fun.

After checking in and donning my shop badge that authorizes me to use the equipment that I have been trained on, I was ready to get started. 

Over to the table saw to make my first cut I went. 

 I looked up and was greeted by a Foreman, yes you heard it right, a Shop Foreman, who was watching and helping since I was a newcomer to the shop. He kept an eye on me, and reinforced the procedures I learned to ensure I used the saw safely.  It is a very comforting feeling knowing that everyone in the wood shop is concerned with my safety, and is available to offer tips and techniques should I need them. 

Later, I took a cluster from another Instructor.

He explained not only the operation of the panel saw and the safety concerns, but also described the structure of the club operations.  There are  foreman, monitors, and general members.

The shop foreman supervises all operations and activities in the shop. The foreman must be skilled and is required to understand a majority of tool operations and all safety requirements as provided by the manufacturer. There is always a designated Shop Foreman on duty during member days.
 The monitors make sure that everyone checks in properly and works in a safe environment.
As with many clubs in Sun City Anthem, it is the people that you get to know, and the friendships that you develop that become the highlight of the time spent.  I have made many new friends in a short period of time and we all have a common interest that hold people together.  I cannot say enough about the people that I have met in this Club.  They are very generous and giving of their time, and have a genuine interest in helping everyone better themselves as woodworkers.
The Woodchips is a self-sustaining club.  The club pays for all equipment.  In addition, the Woodchips builds and distributes about 1,500 wooden toys to children each year as part of their holiday charity projects.
 I encourage everyone interested in woodworking, or thinking of getting into woodworking, to visit the Woodchips of Sun City Anthem. They are located at the rear of Independence Center.
Their website is www.scawoodchips.org and phone number is 702-614-5818.

2 comments:

  1. Sun City Anthem Woodchips Woodworking Club

    Holiday Toy Project

    Gene Riggio, project manager, volunteered to lead our 2012 annual holiday toy project. He, Ken Andersen, project adviser, and over 40 Club members volunteered their time and skills to create over 1900 toys! Most of the toys were delivered to a local organization, “Toys 4 Smiles” that distributes them to children in Nevada and throughout the world. Additionally, many toys were completed in our shop and provided to Blue Star Mothers, who sent them to our troops overseas, and Toys for Tots where they warmed children's hearts as far away as Afghanistan and Iraq.

    Since the wood shop was opened in 2006, our members have made over 4000 toys of various designs and, in addition to the above recipients, have given them to local battered women's shelters, elementary schools, church groups and other local organizations. In addition, some of our members volunteer internationally, so our toys have made their way to Haiti, Belize and other countries, so children can enjoy an act of love not always available to them locally.

    Woodchips has 205 members who join the Club because they enjoy working with wood. Many of their projects can be seen on our website:

    www.scawoodchips.org


    ReplyDelete
  2. Would this be a good place for me to refinish some furniture? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete