Sun City Anthem

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Forrest Fetherolf...Position Paper 4

Thoughts on Director Jim Mayfield's
 "Reflections"

by
Forrest Fetherolf


Position Paper 4

I have read Jim Mayfield's post on Anthem Opinions, and find his suggestions very well written. I commend Jim for his post.

Actually, his beliefs have been a model on which I have always tried to structure my life.

 I hope those seeking election to the SCA Board will aspire to these characteristics, and our membership use the items listed as a criterion for voting in this important election year.

Point by Point my qualifications as a candidate match Jim’s reflections: 

I urge all candidates seeking election to the SCA Board will take them to heart.

As my 4th position paper I would like to take Jim's beliefs  and comment on how closely they are to mine.
  • Be bigger than the problems you confront.
I am not afraid to tackle large and complicated projects and their accompanying problems. There is no problem too big that can't be solved without knowledge, experience, and a deep desire to solve them.
  • Seek out the Members, and listen to what they have to say
 Success in business involved listening to others. I knew I was not perfect, and never knew all the answers, but I learned that making a good decision in many cases, meant seeking advice from those more experienced than I. Asking people for their advice and opinions is not a sign of weakness, it is a mark of intelligence, and shows a strong desire to make a correct decision.
  • Take criticism objectively, not personally.
I learned at the age of 22 as a Los Angeles Police Officer not to take negative comments made by some I dealt with in the line of duty, personally.  I realized those people were talking to a police uniform, not criticizing me as a human being.
  • Not be trapped by precedent.
A perfect example of this is our leadership continuing to make the same mistake with five restaurant failures. In my mind one mistake is too many. The funds entrusted to a Board should be cared for in the same way that a person looks at their own assets.  If I wouldn't spend in on myself, why would I look at spending the hard earned retirement dollars of others who have trusted me, in any other way?
  • Not be afraid to try something new.
When you're fully satisfied with yourself, the only path that life can take you is down.  No successful person I ever knew didn't accept a challenge to better themselves or their businesses.   They were leaders and those were the people I admired most in my life.  My goal in life was to constantly improve the way I operated, and that required finding new ways to get  projects completed in a more timely and cost effective manner while at the same time, maintaining a standard of quality control striving for perfection.
  • Honor the past, but look to the future.
I have always said, "Do not dwell on the past" Remember what you did right, but more importantly never forget what you did wrong. Mistakes the first time you make them makes you human, making them a second time, makes you incompetent.
  • Be straightforward in all your dealings.
I have always been straight forward and up front in dealing in my business ventures and my personal life.  People always knew where I stood on issues we were facing.  I never forgot that I had to look myself in a mirror each and every day and ask myself, "Do you like that person?"
  • Not make decisions based on rumor.
Rumor are just that,  rumors.  I listen and do not believe them until substantiated by facts.
  • Make financial decisions that provide the most good for the most people within the parameters of our primary funding source, the Members' Annual Assessment.
As I said previously, when trusted by others to spend their money, I always treated theirs as I would my own, always striving to get the best "bang for the buck". The role of a Board member should be maintain what exists, not what they desire should exist,  and if excess funds are available, allow the members to decide if, when, and how they should be spent.
  • Respect the Board Policy Manual, SCA governing documents, and Nevada law.
As a Marine, Police Officer, Security Consultant and a General Contractor, I was required to follow the rules and regulations and the law of the land.  Our management role as a Board member is to guide, not manage. We have committed to a model that requires that the day to day operations must be the responsibility of a General Manager who will report to a Board.  If something must be changed, the Board must then guide the General Manager to insist on her making the necessary adjustments to keep within  the CCRs, Board Policy manual, and Nevada statutes.
  • Encourage your fellow Board members to think independently but work collaboratively.
The Board of Directors should be comprised of seven independent thinkers.  Going along to get along should not be an option.  My entire career, I had dealings with Professions, Engineers, Architects, City and State Government Officials, Homeowners, and Subcontractors.   We all worked together to achieve a common goal.  In the case of homeowner association management, votes of 4-3 or 5-2 are good things.  They show independent intelligent thought; however, once a vote has been taken, it is the responsibility of each member to enforce a board decision.  At the same time, enforcing a decision should not be confused with the ability to continue to object to it in a professional and well thought out manner.
  • Set aside your personal agenda to work for the good of the whole organization.
I have only one agenda as a Board Member…using my 40 years of successful business experience and knowledge to help make Sun City Anthem better than ever; protecting our assets and investments,  while making sound cost effective spending decisions.
Forrest Fetherolf
Got a question or comment?
Send it to:






No comments:

Post a Comment